Friday, October 7, 2011

EXTRA EXTRA: Fashion Dominates the Magazine Industry!


I was beyond happy to hear Ad Age recently named Vogue Magazine  the "Magazine of the Year"! As someone who has always dreamed of working in the fashion industry, I've been forced to get used to the judgmental statements from people who stereotype fashion. After a while, it's gets a little tiring hearing the usual assumptions like, "they never eat", "they're mean girls", and "it's not even a real job". It's unfortunate that when a business is dominated by women, people automatically think the worst. If a woman is powerful like Anna Wintour, she's supposedly ice cold. However, if a man is powerful, he's successful and respected. I'm not trying to sound like a crazy feminist, I swear! I just hate how our society undermines feminine aspects, especially fashion.

Yes, if you want to go into the fashion industry you do actually need a degree. In fact, fashion is one of the most stressful occupations. Don't believe me? Check out the Tumblrs' for OscarPRGirl and DKNYPRGirl. Those ladies are never not working. Sure, we're not saving lives but this business redefines the arts. Fashion reflects how we identify ourselves and is a huge creativity outlet.

So to all those people who claimed magazines were pointless, fashion was meaningless, and ever dared to insult Anna Wintour...time to bite your tongue. Looks like Ms. Wintour will continue to run the halls of Conde Nast and be the deciding factor of fashion's top styles for quite a while. Vogue is the fashion bible. Hence, why it's my dream job and I worship the magazine so much!

"When I die I want to go to Vogue."
-David Bailey


No comments:

Post a Comment