Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Fake It Till You Make It

First off, I have many reasons for defending my interest in seeing The Bling Ring:

1. The glamour. I'm a sucker for pretty things a.k.a any Sofia Coppola movie.
2. The story's background. I was an avid viewer of Pretty Wild  and basically have the "Nancy Jo, this is Alexis Niers calling" phone call down like a shallow pro.
3. The movie is an accurate and not so flattering representation of my generation.

It doesn't take a psychiatrist to figure out why these kids did what they did. They were stupid, bored, and like most people of the current youth, heavily influenced by the A-list/celebrity obsessed lifestyle. As someone who idolized Nicole Richie on The Simple Life and begged her parents for a Louis Vuitton all at the young age of seven, this obsession wasn't exactly newsworthy to me. We're all a little tainted by the desire to be rich and swimming in couture - pretty harmless ambition. We get a little too fascinated by Loubs and take too many selfies when we get into V.I.P. areas. It happens. But greed isn't the problem for the bling ring, or most of my generation, it's the lack of self-awareness. These kids were coked out like 95% of the time and lived in a bizarre fantasy. Like the LV my parents purchased to shut my 7-year-old self up, they were unstable knockoffs. And that fakeness gets disposed quite quickly.

Overall, Sofia did a great job showing the story without glamorizing the suspects. The characters' actions confirmed our generation is definitely corrupt but their selfishness doesn't define us. The American dream is still in tact with the "me" generation, it's just a bit more fueled by materialistic ideals. Our desires might be high, but in our defense, so are our standards. Yes, most girls worship the thought of owning a Birkin. But unlike this group, we're smart enough to earn it the authentic way - not steal it from Paris Hilton.

And sidenote - five stars for Emma Watson and Claire Julien's valley accents. Killed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment