Saturday, December 29, 2012

Movie Review: Les Mis


I cried, I laughed, I swooned...I rushed to the bathroom to see how badly I damaged my makeup. I knew that Broadway's biggest musical was going to leave an emotional impact but was not prepared to be leaving the theater as such a mess. As expected, Anne Hathaway's "I Dreamed A Dream" sequence produced many tears and "cosigns" to her much talked about Oscar hype. But after Hathaway took the audience into a deep depression, I thought my emotions were safe because really, what could be more saddening than selling your body for your child's sake? Turns out, there were still more revolution children involved to continue my bawling.


My particular favorites in the movie were Samantha Barks and Aaron Tveit. As someone who is too attached over Eponine singing On My Own, I was ecstatic over Samantha's casting. Considering how short the role seemed (seriously, did anyone else feel like her part was severely cut?), she left a huge impact in the film. And then there was Aaron Tveit. I have a special place for Aaron in my heart after meeting him in his Catch Me If You Can days. It was a beautiful moment when his baby blues looked into my eyes as I blabbered on about how perfect he was and then instructed my sister where to stand when she took our picture. In that moment, I melted and knew he was a major husband contender. Of course, Les Mis only confirmed that belief. Aaron was incredible as Enjolras. And when he held up the iconic red flag? Maybe that wasn't the most appropriate time to be swooning, but I did...along with more crying.

Despite the mixed reviews on the film, I thought Les Mis was well done. Like the film version of Rent, which I will defend till the day I die, no one is ever pleased with how Broadway musicals are transformed into Hollywood movies. The two are nearly impossible to combine, but at least Les Mis was done justice (Remember when TSwift was in talks to play Eponine? This could've taken an awful turn...). Besides, I rarely see people in the movie theater so affected to the point of blowing their noses from crying and then clapping loudly at the end of films. In my experience, Les Mis did succeed with brining the stage atmosphere to the movies.

1 comment:

  1. Good review Nicole. I think any true film and music lover will see a spark of greatness in this movie, and if not, to each their own I guess. As for me, I think this film will be a frontrunner for the Oscars and will be remembered as a phenomenal musical and a brilliant film.

    ReplyDelete